Rankin Construction Inc. (RCI) and their design consultant Morrison Hershfield (MH) have been selected by the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) to construct the Amherst Island ferry docks improvements. The project is located in Loyalist Township, within the County of Lennox and Addington (see map below).
The Amherst Island ferry provides year round transportation to and from the mainland terminal in Millhaven to the Island terminal in Stella.
The recommended plan for the improvements was determined during an Environmental Assessment Study completed in January 2014.
Benefits & Improvements:
- Easier access to and from the island;
- Improved efficiency of ferry operations;
- Better accommodation for increasing number of large commercial trucks and farm equipment;
- Converting existing docks from side to end-loading;
- Larger paved parking areas and sidewalks;
- Upgraded bubbler system for winter ice control; and,
- New terminal buildings with public restrooms, bike racks and staff offices.
- Design phase to be completed in mid-2017;
- Construction phase to begin in late summer 2017;
- New end-loading docks in-service June 2019; and,
- Project completion summer 2020.
Opportunities for public input and involvement will be provided throughout the project. These are further discussed within the Consultation section of this Project’s website.
If you wish to submit feedback, be added to the project mailing list or submit a question, please use the Contact Us section of this website.